Thursday, March 26, 2015

NATALIA ANTONOVA (Russia)-- "My life is eternally split between at least three countries"

Who is your greatest writing influence?

It's hard to say. I think others are always more qualified to make such an assessment. A critic friend once compared my work to the work of Russian screenwriter Alexander Mindadze. 

What makes a great play in your country?

I don't know if there is such a thing as "my country," per se, since my life is eternally split between at least three countries. If we're talking Russia - then that's really hard to say. Are we talking about modern plays, the classics, the popular foreign plays that have found a home in local theaters? Considering the conservative backlash currently going on in Russia, I'd say a great play is a play that gets people talking.

Describe your writing room / process.

I don't have a writing room, I write wherever and whenever. That's what happens when you're always busy/have a small child. I probably get my best ideas in the shower/when I'm walking somewhere, listening to music. I usually make notes on my phone, to look up later.

How do you wake up?

Usually, my kid wakes me up by demanding something or other, as kids do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment